My IELTS Experience Part 1 : The Preparation


For those who are planning to study abroad , or attempting to secure a scholarship, there is a common condition that they need to comply with which is; a prove of English qualifications. Among international recognized test specifically to meet this purpose is IELTS, which I had taken last February. Accordingly, now I just want to share my personal experience, which I think might be valuable for those who are going to take this test sooner or later.



* * * * * * * * * *


I have already secured a place in one of top 10 universities in western countries, but the status is conditional, and the condition is that I need to provide acceptable evidence of English qualifications at “Good Level”.





 I have to show a prove of English qualification at Good Level

Originally, I did’nt know how much I need to score in order to achieve that “Good” level. So, I’m google in for English Language requirement from respective university website and this is what I found.


Wow! Its 7.0! I was surprised. Consequently, I realize this was’nt an easy task. It’s rather daunting indeed. I know if I fail to get 7.0, then that’s it..it’s time to say goodbye to the offer that I had received earlier. But, I promise to myself, I won’t let that to be happen. I had done a lot to be in this level (ie. experiencing the hardship of studying in undergraduate level, not enough sleep and sacrificing a lot of time to study)…I could not then make any mistakes in these subsequent few last steps of achieving my dream to study abroad. Upon realizing how imperative this test could be, I start to prepare for my IELTS test aggressively.



* * * * * * * * * *


I register for IELTS test in British Council Malaysia, located at the central part of Kuala Lumpur. The fees is relatively expensive which is RM 570.00. This is another reason why I cant fail in the test…hehe =). I choose to sit for the test, on 19th February, which means at that time I have a month and a half to prepare for it.

IELTS test comprises of 4 set of modules, mainly Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking. The total test time is two hours and 45 minutes. Most of the time, all those modules can be finished in a day only , but due to some inevitable reasons, I have to take the speaking test on the other day. Well, I had no problem with it. It’s indeed beneficial to me as I got much time to focus on the other modules first.

As a matter of fact, actually British Council do provide workshop or training purposely designed for those who are going to take IELTS test. But, I’m just not among those who are attending the workshop. Why?? hehe… because it’s way too costly. The workshop if I’m not mistaken is about RM 800.00 which is much higher than the fees itself! Unless your English level proficiency is very weak and you really need some guidance , then it is advisable for you to attend the workshop. Otherwise, you better keep your money for other purposes right?? < hehe, British Council surely hate me for saying so, =P >

Then, since I’m preparing all by myself, it’s vitally important for me to do it seriously. There are actually a vast source of information and sample of questions that you can find and download from the internet.

Here, I provide some links that I think could assist you in your preparation in some ways….the great news is that, it’s all FREE OF CHARGE!! ^^



3. Mock IELTS Papers (I personally love this one =))


5. Darsana IELTS (they really have a good collection of essays here )

You can also download IELTS’s books at Scribd, for example IELTS-Preparation-and-Practice-Reading-Writing-Academic-Module.

So, as I told you earlier there are a major sources of IELTS samples on the internet. You just need to browse and search for it using the right keyword. For example,”IELTS essays sample”, ” IELTS mock reading”, “IELTS reading passages”, or “preparation for IELTS”. If you are targeting a particular band for a certain module, then your keyword need to be more specific; eg. “IELTS sample essays band 8″ or “IELTS speaking band 7 tips”. ..yeah pretty much like that. You got my idea are you ?=)

But even if you do all these exercises, it still quite difficult to obtain your desired result unless you know the golden tips of answering the questions. This is because, IELTS exam not only designed to examine your English proficiency but also your time management as well. You really need to manage your time well in that limited examination’s period. Even a very eloquent native English speakers could possible get a not-so-welcoming result if his/her time management in the test is very poor. So, here I provide some links of tips that you can adhere to Please do pay a special attention on tips on managing your time particularly for Reading and Writing test.





Okay I think that’s enough for now, later I will tell you my IELTS results hehe…but please dont expect me to get band 9, that’s impossible for me (You can judge by reading this posts indeed right? There are grammar mistakes everywhere.hahaha,..but don’t afraid to make mistake, the more you write, the better you will be).

Nevertheless, considering I’m studying all by myself in a relatively short period, I’m grateful enough with my achievement =).

For those who are going to sit for this exam soon, I wish you all the best and good luck!!

Warm Regards,

17 comments:

Anonymous said...
February 16, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Thanks for sharing this nice post. Every test taker should follow the IELTS Essay Writing tips for better result in IELTS.

WynterSui said...
November 13, 2014 at 10:57 PM

So how did you fare, dear? I hope you did well. Thanks for sharing this wonderful post as I will be taking the test soon. Bookmarking this post for future reference. :)

Khyranisa said...
December 22, 2014 at 11:46 PM

Thank you so much Hazwani. May Allah bless you for sharing this info. I really appreciate it dear

garden of knowledges said...
January 10, 2015 at 2:17 AM

thanks for the tips,i will take second exam in april 2015,i hope to pas with flying colours.

lil angel said...
January 13, 2015 at 10:38 PM

Thank you so much, Hazwani dear :) May God bless you.

Aspalilah said...
March 3, 2015 at 10:28 AM

thank you wani..i will try to follow your advise..

vivanessi said...
March 4, 2015 at 5:21 AM

In deed very helpful tips...tqvm n hope u did well

Anonymous said...
August 14, 2015 at 4:50 AM

Thank you so much for this post. May Allah bless you always. Please pray for me.

Unknown said...
April 5, 2016 at 4:36 AM

I have a strong wish to learn IELTS , Thank you author for posting this list of blogs and helping me to learn in a better way
best ielts coaching centre in trivandrum

Anonymous said...
April 29, 2016 at 1:15 AM

thank you hazwani for this very informative article altough it was written 5 years ago

Priya said...
December 22, 2016 at 3:26 AM

I am really enjoying reading your well written articles. It looks like you spend a lot of effort and time on your blog. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work..

Best IELTS Coaching Center in Chennai | IELTS Training Centers in Chennai | IELTS Coaching Classes in Chennai

sultana said...
September 29, 2017 at 2:27 AM

Pretty article! I found some useful information in your blog, it was awesome to read, thanks for sharing this great content to my vision, keep sharing..
ielts coaching centre in Anna Nagar | best ielts coaching centres in Adyar

Sumit Seth said...
November 16, 2017 at 2:10 AM

Hey, very inspiring journey. Thanks for motivating and giving valuable information. I am stay in Hyderabad can anyone tell me which is the Best IELTS Coaching Centers in Hyderabad? Or do I need coaching at all?

yuvaprithika said...
November 21, 2017 at 4:10 AM

Thanks for sharing this useful info about IELTS. Now, I gain some information on IELTS importance. Keep on Updating.

ielts training in chennai anna nagar | IELTS Institute in Anna Nagar | ielts classes in anna nagar

Bets Eyrue said...
July 2, 2018 at 10:47 AM

I found this blog after a long time which is really helpful to let understand different approaches. I am going to adopt these new point to my career and thankful for this help. Ielts Courses Packages

Emly Mia said...
January 21, 2020 at 5:04 AM

Hi there,
we proving the best services as like English certificate for sale, Toefl certificate for sale, How to obtain IELTS without exam,
ielts for sale online....

Anonymous said...
May 15, 2021 at 4:02 AM

Nice blog post.
IELTS online coaching

Leave a Comment

Back to Home Back to Top Hazwani Mohadis. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.